zai leaves an imprint on the history and development of skiing.
Establishment of zai AG
- Building and testing of more than 200 handmade prototypes
- First experiments with unusual combinations of materials
- Negative pre-stressing («Rocker») introduced on all zai skis
- Development of the negative angle of the binding plate in longitudinal direction
- The first four models, a ski for deep snow and three piste skis, are marketed via a handful of selected dealers – consistently as complete ski packages containing skis, bindings with binding plates, poles and a ski bag.
- Dyneema® is used in a handmade ski for the very first time, replacing the titanal usual to racing skis.
- The zai classic is technologically advanced. Its straightforward design is maintained.
- A model for deep snow, zai odavon, emerges.
zai spada: stone core
- The world's first and only ski with a stone core (Calanca gneiss) is developed in cooperation with TechnoCarbon Technologies. Its damping characteristics are outstanding.
zai tila and zai laisa
- For the very first time and unique to date carbon nanotubes are used in ski construction.
- The second spada range is now manufactured using Andeer gneiss.
zai for Hublot
- A ski is developed for watch manufacturer Hublot. The natural rubber of Hublot watchstraps is used on ski surfaces for the first time. The ski's design is developed in cooperation with Hublot's CEO Jean Claude Biver. It correlates with the design of the watches. The natural rubber is extremely robust, can be reworked and offers superior damping characteristics.
- The spada range, now featuring two different ski lengths, is also equipped with a natural rubber surface and stainless steel upper edges.
zai for Bentley
- The idea of a partnership arises when Bentley's CEO, Dr. Paefgen, visits the zai manufacturing plant. Technological innovations from zai are implemented in cooperation with Bentley designers. The novel carbon fibre compound material zaiìra® increases performance and at the same time allows a reduction of weight. Longevity is further increased. The ski references the Bentley Continental Supersports in appearance and handling.
- In cooperation with Salomon the carbon fibre zai helmet is developed. It features the world novelty Custom Air® (fitting by means of air cushioning).
zai nezza / zai spiaghels
- After numerous innovations the introduction of the zai nezza must be termed a revolution. Neither a sandwich construction nor monocoque design, it is milled from a single zaiìra® work piece. The use of zaiìra’s® unique characteristics allows for a completely new approach and the resulting visual appearance is unmatched in ski construction.
- A range of sunglasses is developed in partnership with eyewear manufacturer Marienfeld in Brig. zaiìra® is used for the frames.
DT tip geometry / zai feffa / zai cassacca
- zai is chosen as official ski of the Fis World Alpine Ski Championships 2011 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
- zai applies for a patent for the newly developed DT (double tip) tip geometry and launches the zai laisa DT, an exceptional freeride ski.
- The zai feffa, a new touring ski, offers maximum performance in all snow conditions at the minimal weight of 999 grams per Ski (170 cm).
- zai presents an own range of ski clothing: zai cassacca. The fabrics are produced by exclusive Italian manufacturer Loro Piana, the cut is designed for maximum ease in movement.